FANDOM


  • Are there any plans to enable editors to update map images without having to dump the whole map and start over fresh?

      Loading editor
    • +1 for this question

        Loading editor
    • +1 too

        Loading editor
    • I will definitely add this feedback to our list going to the engineering team.  Thanks for the great feedback!  Any other questions, comments, suggestions, bugs, please report to Special:Contact.

      Thanks!

        Loading editor
    • I want to create a map for my wikia, but as the game updates everyweek, it'll be really hard to keep it up-to-date without having replacing a few tiles.

        Loading editor
    • +1 for this feature.. Any update when it will be available?

        Loading editor
    • As far as this feature goes, unfortunately, our mobile team has their hands full with some higher priority "must have" aspects of the maps feature, including protections, map deletion rights, etc. 

      Also, there will be limited engineering resources for Maps moving forward. I can't make any promises about when the mobile team would be able to build this feature. 

      If Maps gains more popularity, it would be more likely that requests such as this one, more "nice to have" type features would get built.

      Sorry if this is somewhat dissapointing. We really appreciate you using the Maps feature, and we do want to make it the best feature possible based on your feedback. 

        Loading editor
    • Too bad, 'maps' gets less important. Although it can be a good feature to move along with your wiki's. Many game wiki's do have maps. This feature comes in handy.

      Actually it's a must have, as - if you are a gamer - maps change frequently. They get updated with a new place or something or they get better graphics.

        Loading editor
    • I agree with Sim533 - this is something of a deal breaker for many of the very people Maps was aimed at. As DLC and evolving MMO content are increasingly popular in the games industry, cataloguing such changes with Maps is a bit torturous right now. Take Second Life (some might say take it and burn it, but whatever. lol) - there isn't a day which goes by that its digital landscape doesn't change dramatically. Or Skyrim with its Dragonborn and Dawnguard expansions.

      I applaud the Maps team for making the changes that they are and continuing to support and expand on this platform. I understand the problems with limited resources, but I do urge bumping this one up the pile a bit. I don't think Wikia's userbase is patient enough to scrap and rebuild maps literally every few months (at best) to keep up with many games' content. And if I'm right, these people won't adopt the system. Those that do adopt it will, most likely, continue to use the same out-of-date maps (rather than scrap and rebuild) - leading to poor quality Wikia content.

        Loading editor
    • Bump for this.  Maps are so terribly useful for discribing game elements.  I hope maps extention will be a high priority eventualy.   Great work on them so far!  Kudos for that

        Loading editor
    • Bump for this. We really need the ability to replace map images.

        Loading editor
    • Also we need to be able to edit the map name and ce able to copy it into a new map to add more content....

        Loading editor
    • I fail to see how this is anything other than an essential feature. As a programmer I also fail to see how this is anything other than a simple task that should take a few hours at most.

        Loading editor
    • I totally agree with you =)

      AHadley wrote:
      I fail to see how this is anything other than an essential feature. As a programmer I also fail to see how this is anything other than a simple task that should take a few hours at most.


        Loading editor
    • AHadley wrote:

      I fail to see how this is anything other than an essential feature. As a programmer I also fail to see how this is anything other than a simple task that should take a few hours at most.

      Wikia doesn't actually care about Maps anymore. It's depressing. A good feature gone to waste as soon as it was released. It's been a year and a half with no updates. :/

        Loading editor
    • and now all my maps have disappeared .....   erased.... gone.... =(

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • Abejita916 wrote:

      and now all my maps have disappeared .....   erased.... gone.... =(

      Only real-life maps were removed, because there is no longer a free service for tiled real-life maps. MapQuest, the service Wikia was using, ceased providing it, so they deleted the real-life maps instead.

        Loading editor
    • Maps have been abandoned by wikia, it's marked as "deprecated" feature now.

        Loading editor
    • Nnnooooonnnnn wrote:
      Maps have been abandoned by wikia, it's marked as "deprecated" feature now.

      Not surprised in the least. It was potentially a brilliant idea, but was too impractical and limited to be of use to serious editors.

        Loading editor
    • Please stop reviving old threads, and use MediaWiki Maps Extension.

        Loading editor
    • Unfortunately, the MediaWiki Maps extension is not well documented, and is full of styling bugs that Fandom has yet to fix. Wikia Maps was a really good feature, and a lot of communities were and still are using it. This wiki hasn't shut down the forums, so discussion is probably going to happen regardless.

        Loading editor
    • Qoushik wrote:
      Please stop reviving old threads, and use MediaWiki Maps Extension.

      Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the MediaWiki Maps Extension doesn't provide the feature this thread discusses. I see no documentation on changing the image and a cursory examination does not reveal such a feature.

        Loading editor
    • Ded10c wrote:

      Qoushik wrote:
      Please stop reviving old threads, and use MediaWiki Maps Extension.

      Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the MediaWiki Maps Extension doesn't provide the feature this thread discusses. I see no documentation on changing the image and a cursory examination does not reveal such a feature.

      What do you mean by changing the image? Changing the Map Tile?

        Loading editor
    • Qoushik wrote:

      What do you mean by changing the image? Changing the Map Tile?

      No, changing the background image. The majority of the wikis that used the Wikia Maps extension were based around fictional subjects for which a world map would be of little use, and without the ability to use a custom background image the MediaWiki extension is useless to them. The ability to change the background image is an additional request built upon that, allowing the map image to be adjusted without affecting the positions and details of pins and other components.

        Loading editor
    • Ded10c wrote:

      Qoushik wrote:

      What do you mean by changing the image? Changing the Map Tile?

      No, changing the background image. The majority of the wikis that used the Wikia Maps extension were based around fictional subjects for which a world map would be of little use, and without the ability to use a custom background image the MediaWiki extension is useless to them. The ability to change the background image is an additional request built upon that, allowing the map image to be adjusted without affecting the positions and details of pins and other components.

      For custom maps, the Wikia Map feature is still working. You can still create maps on an image from Special:Maps page of any Maps-enabled wiki.

        Loading editor
    • You're seriously not getting it.

      The original reason this thread was created was to provide feedback on the fact that you cannot REPLACE map images. Instead, you have to create a brand-new map with a different image and recreate all the pins.

      Instead of listening to constructive feedback on this wonderful feature that communities were making full use of, Fandom decided to deprecate it and cease all development. Therefore, the original issue in this thread is not solved, and the MediaWiki Maps Extension does not solve it. Therefore, these forums are here for us to show Fandom that we still want Special:Maps to see more development because it was a feature that fictional communities have been needing for a long time and it is now remaining half-developed.

        Loading editor
    • SlyCooperFan1 wrote:

      OK, its my bad, I guess! I was suggesting MediaWiki Maps for those who wants to use real-world maps!

        Loading editor
    • The entire premise of this thread specifically excludes using real-world maps. OP makes this explicitly clear.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.